It’s a simple gesture, but this video is pretty exciting nonetheless:
Seeing Lawrence Kasdan with J.J. Abrams makes it all seem so… real. As if the table read wasn’t cool enough. Yes, it’s actually happening: the ever-likeable Abrams is working with the man who gave us Empire, Jedi and Raiders to bring us the sequel to Jedi.
And note that Abrams stating that casting announcements are continuing. In other words, we can assume the rumoured female lead who has yet to be announced is still out there.
In any case, I think there’s something poetic about this progression:
- The Phantom Menace, written and directed by George Lucas
- Attack of the Clones, directed by George Lucas, screenplay by George Lucas and Jonathan Hales, story by George Lucas
- Revenge of the Sith, written and directed by George Lucas
- A New Hope, written and directed by George Lucas
- The Empire Strikes Back, directed by Irvin Kershner, screenplay by Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan, story by George Lucas
- Return of the Jedi, directed by Richard Marquand, screenplay by George Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan, story by George Lucas
- Episode VII, directed by J.J. Abrams, screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and J.J. Abrams, story by George Lucas and Michael Arndt
It all seems very fitting that, despite being made out-of-sequence, the seven episodes feature Kasdan taking greater control as Lucas steps back.