Jedi News are reporting that Steven Moffat (Doctor Who, Sherlock) may be involved in one of the upcoming Star Wars movies in some capacity. Moffat previously worked on the Kathleen Kennedy-produced Steven Spielberg film The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn, so it’s really no surprise to see his potential involvement in Star Wars.
But where does he fit in? Here’s the most likely schedule for the upcoming Star Wars films:
- 2015: Episode VII, directed by J.J. Abrams, screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams
- 2016: Boba Fett standalone film, directed by Gareth Edwards, screenplay by Gary Whitta
- 2017: Episode VIII, written and directed by Rian Johnson
- 2018: Han Solo standalone film, directed by Josh Trank, screenplay by Simon Kinberg
- 2019: Episode IX, based on a treatment by Rian Johnson
- 2020: Red Five standalone film
My bet would be that Johnson is writing the treatment for Episode IX while concurrently writing Episode VIII; once VIII wraps, Johnson will depart from Star Wars. (Edit: Alternatively, Johnson may stay on to direct IX.) While production is happening on VIII, however, Moffat can begin writing IX by referring to the shooting script for VIII and Johnson’s treatment for IX. This means they can work on the sequel to Episode VIII before that film is even completed.
That’s right: we may have just found out the writer for Episode IX, over a year prior to the release of Episode VII.